1.14.2009

The dress.

Sorry for the week-long hiatus. I just recently started a new position with Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago, so I've been adjusting to the crazy schedule I will now have!

First, I MUST share an awesome link that I found!
I've come across many different wedding contests, but this one takes the cake! Toilet Paper Wedding Dresses! If I were savvy at sewing, I would definitely make my own dress, but I can't even imagine the skill one must have to sew toilet paper!

So since we are on the topic of dresses, I have been running into issues. I have been trying to find eco-friendly ideas for wedding gowns such as second-hand dresses, organic fabric, Craig's List, eBay, etc. Most of the pre-owned dresses I have found that are in my price range are just (to put it nicely) not my style AT ALL. I have found GREAT sites like PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com and WoreItOnce.com. I am still looking at these sites in case "my perfect dress" appears in the listings, but the artist inside of me REALLY wants to design my own!

My mom found a bridal shop in Ft. Dodge, Iowa that can copy any style of dress and add unique features. So, I have just started researching organic fabrics. I'd like my dress to be very simple and comfortable, but it's hard to find stores that carry organic fabrics so that I can TOUCH them! :-) (I know I live in Chicago, it should be fairly easy, so I will keep trying!)

If anyone has any links or suggestions, please send them my way! I know that this is going to be the toughest part of the wedding planning, but I am hoping to learn a lot!

1 comment:

  1. What about using recycled fabric from old dresses or other clothing items? Would the company in Ft. Dodge be able to create a dress out of fabric that isn't off the spool or whatever they call those things?
    On the other hand, do you have any fashion design major friends from ISU that would be able to help?
    Allison

    ReplyDelete